Thomas Arens and his son, Daniel were taken by Medina Ambulance to the Jamestown Rgional Medical Center, where their conditions are not being made available. Authorities did not describe the extent of their injuries.
The two were inside the home at 527 3rd Avenue North in Cleveland at the time of the explosion, but managed to get out. Stutsman County Sheriff’s Deputy Dan White reported around 15 pets, mostly dogs, were still in the home during the ensuing fire. Some of them were taken to Steele for treatment by a veterinarian.
Firefighters arrived around 10:20 a.m. to find the home fully engulfed in flames.
Cleveland Fire Chief Bob Grabinger said firefighters had to wait for electricity and natural gas to be cut off. An Otter Tail Power crew was able to cut the electricity. But, while a Montana-Dakota Utilities’ crew was on the scene by 11:30, the frozen ground prevented them from shutting off the natural gas until around 2:30 p.m.
An investigator from the state fire marshal’s office made an initial survey of the site on Saturday afternoon and planned to return on Sunday.
Stutsman County Emergency Manager Jerrry Bergquist said earlier that a natural gas build up was initially suspected as the cause of the explosion.