×

ND Public Service Commission approves first battery storage sites; demand toxic fire disclosure for future projects

By Payton Gall Feb 19, 2026 | 10:10 AM

val_th / Depositphotos.com

North Dakota is venturing into large-scale energy storage endeavors, though state regulators are warning developers that “glossing over” fire risks will no longer be tolerated in future instances, according to from the North Dakota Monitor.

The Public Service Commission (PSC) gave the green light Wednesday to a $128.6 million battery storage site in Burke County, which follows a similar approval last month for a project in Emmons County. Though both projects will help stabilize the state’s wind energy output, Commission Chair Randy Christmann says a major shift is needed in how companies disclose the potential toxic impact of battery fires.

NextEra, the developer behind both sites, plans to have them operational by December, according to the Monitor. However, Christmann noted that the discussion regarding toxic emissions from a potential battery fire happened “too late in the process” for the Burke County site. Future applicants will be required to provide a full list of all toxins that could be released during a fire before local officials approve the project. “I want… local emergency officials to decide if they think they need additional resources for personal protection, or if they want to oppose the project,” Christmann told the Monitor.

Comments

Leave a Reply